National Reconciliation Party for Unity and Prosperity (NRPUP) presidential candidate Brian Mundubile has called for an independent, transparent and credible investigation into the death of former Lunte Member of Parliament and Cabinet Minister Mutotwe Kafwaya.
Mundubile described Kafwaya as his friend, brother and colleague while conveying his condolences to Kafwaya’s wife, children and the wider family following confirmation of his death.
The NRPUP leader said Kafwaya served as Member of Parliament for Lunte Constituency from 2016 to 2021 and later held senior positions in Government.
During his time in Cabinet, Kafwaya served as Minister of Works and Supply before later becoming Minister of Transport and Communications.
However, Mundubile has raised questions about the circumstances surrounding Kafwaya’s death, particularly the period it took authorities to officially confirm his identity.
According to Mundubile, the Central Joint Operations Committee, Service Chiefs and other security authorities took five days to confirm that the unidentified man who was fatally wounded during a security operation in Kabulonga was Kafwaya.
He said the delay was concerning given that Kafwaya’s family, colleagues, lawyers and other concerned citizens had reportedly made repeated inquiries regarding his whereabouts.
The development follows confirmation by Inspector General of Police Graphel Musamba that Kafwaya was the unidentified man who was fatally wounded during an intelligence-led joint security operation in Kabulonga on August 14, 2026.
Police previously said the operation involved a joint task force comprising various security agencies and followed intelligence gathered by authorities.
Authorities also reported that several suspects were apprehended during the operation, while firearms, ammunition and other items were recovered.
Mundubile has now called for an investigation that is independent, transparent and credible so that the circumstances surrounding Kafwaya’s death and the subsequent delay in confirming his identity can be fully established.
The call for an investigation comes as news of Kafwaya’s death continues to generate reactions across Zambia.
Zambians have taken to social media to express condolences to the former lawmaker’s family, with messages of sympathy being shared following the official confirmation of his identity.
The circumstances surrounding the Kabulonga operation and Kafwaya’s death are expected to remain a subject of public interest as investigations by the relevant authorities continue.


















